Birthday Wishes to Several Greats

The title was thought up rather quickly, so I apologize that it isn't very good. There are many birthday wishes to send out today. Although I act as if my wishes are actually passed on to these fine actors, as if they are touched by my caring gestures, I certainly hope they are appreciated among their admirers. I am referring to you all, who may or may not be admirers of these people. Since there are more than a few celebrations taking place today, I will recognize them all and highlight a specific film of theirs in which they gave a marvelous performance, or accomplished something extraordinary.
Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York - What a magnificent performance. I don't know how to describe it in any other way, other than that he enhanced the screen with his brilliant talent. Portraying a ruthless criminal known simply as the Butcher, he transforms himself into this cruel, spiteful character, ensconced by pure evil, in such a fantastic fashion. Here, he provides ones of the greatest performances of, dare I say, all time. And the fact that he didn't get an Oscar for his outstanding performance is absolutely shameful, making a political victory for the Holocaust. Regardless of what happened there, sinful as it is, Daniel Day-Lewis established himself, once more, as one of the royalty of Hollywood.

One Fine Day
Isn't she adorable?
Michelle Pfeiffer in Married to the Mob - It was difficult choosing just one movie among Michelle Pfeiffer's impressive filmography, as all her roles are of the same, marvelous caliber. In each film she stars in, she makes herself stand out as one of the industry's most-talented actresses. Not only does she demonstrate remarkable acting prowess, but she accomplishes being both beautiful and adorable while also projecting an aura of intelligence and elegance. True talent. And, yet again, the Academy disappoints for she has never received an Oscar for her clear skill in the art of acting. Why I chose Married to the Mob, I'm not sure, only that it was the first movie that came to mind when thinking of Michelle Pfeiffer. As Angela de Marco, she portrays the typical wife to the Mafia as she attempts to break free of that life and start anew in the city. It's your average ambitious city-girl story, with a mix of crime and comedy, and is only enhanced by Michelle Pfeiffer's appearance.

Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction - Isn't it obvious? As the iconic Mia Wallace, and I say iconic because she represents the film, in my opinion, Uma Thurman displays her ability to seduce viewers with her irresistible voice and style. Of course, Quentin Tarantino orchestrated the entire film, therefore the actress's performance, which only further shows how skilled she is at following the director's, the artist's, vision. When she graces the screen, I cannot take my eyes off of her, for she is absolutely stunning. She portrays her character so incredibly, so troubled, that I shudder at the fear of losing her. And, if you've seen the film, you'd know what I'm referring to, having to do with a certain adrenaline shot. That gave it away. Once again, not surprisingly, the Academy robs yet another actress who gave such an amazing performance. It must be some sort of conspiracy I am not privy to. Uma Thurman, that gorgeous woman on the vintage poster of Pulp Fiction, is simply mesmerizing.

Jerry Seinfeld in Seinfeld - This man created the show that revolutionized television. It remains engraved on the audience's mind as the absolute greatest show of all time. Yes, I'm bold enough to make such a statement. What I admire about the show is its fearlessness into delving into topics that were still considered "touchy", and even more so today. Unlike the happy-pappy sitcoms like Friends (which is also a great show, no question), Seinfeld analyzes specific subjects and points out the humor in them. It's simply indescribable. I would name a few lines from the show that have become part of pop-culture, but that would just make the remarkable show a catch-phrase sack. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Once again, happy birthday to all you fantastic people! Continue your greatness. I'm clearly rushing to wrap this up.

Comments

  1. Auguri! buon compleano Michelle.

    I'm so glad you chose to feature Married To The Mob as your Pfeiffer pfilm. Michelle was my first actress infatuation and that was the film that started it all of.
    It's inexplicable that Michelle has never won an Academy Award, especially for her work in The Fabulous Baker Boys, but she has left a whole host of memorable performances to sit back and enjoy.
    I love your choice of picture too. I've never been so taken with Michelle as when she played Melanie in One Fine Day. That was such a great movie, a gift to the heart.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts