Critics' Choice Awards

Considering this is not a high-profile awards event, and that the winners here do not necessarily ensure the Oscar winners, I won't go into too much detail. What I will do is highlight specific parts of the show that hit a nerve, either satisfying or infuriating.

He even looks like a prick.
Aaron Sorkin - Really? Again? Didn't he get enough recognition and prestige for his supposedly "genius" adapted screenplay for The Social Network? I believe he most certainly did. He literally swept every single screenplay category last year for his boring, less-than-captivating adaptation for the movie about Facebook. (That's how the movie is known as, by the way.) Seriously, the movie is a one-time watch. Justin Timberlake was the only enjoyable part. Worth mentioning. Now, Sorkin is back again to steal the award for Best Adpated Screenplay for Moneyball. I use the word "steal" because he was up against the guy who adapted Martin Scorsese's masterpiece, Hugo, and I am rooting for Scorsese all the way this year. Him, Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris and Michel Hazanavicious's The Artist. Everything else is neither here nor there. As for Moneyball, I find myself reluctant to watch it now that I know Sorkin was behind it all. Will it be another boring, one-time watch? Even with Brad Pitt? Time will tell.

Bridesmaids - Believe it or not, I was very disappointed that this won Best Comedy. Yes, as I did not enjoy the movie that is tagged as "the female Hangover". Many resent that title, but it's a tad true. Even if they don't get drunk and retrace their steps in Las Vegas (they didn't even go to Vegas!), it has that Hangover feel. Only less funny. A lot less funny. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Kristen Wiig, and was excited about seeing this movie. Therefore, my expectations were extremely high. Because I didn't laugh as much as I'd like, the movie was a bigger disappointment than it should have been. I thought it was merely okay, nothing awesome or hilarious at all. Melissa McCarthy was pretty darn funny, but not worth the rumors of Oscar buzz. Seriously? Can you imagine her winning? I like her and all, but I like Will Ferrell too. Catch my drift? (Such an amusing saying.) Another upset about Bridesmaids's win is that it beat Horrible Bosses, the darkly hilarious comedy starring the best trio of actors ever (Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day, and Jason Bateman), and Crazy, Stupid, Love., the sweet, funny film with a genuinely surprising twist. And a surprise in films nowadays is truly appreciated. Bridesmaids, however, was unfortunately predictable, awkwardly unfunny, and at times even corny. Sorry, Kristen Wiig.

The Artist - Believe me when I say that I literally jumped off my leather loveseat when The Artist was announced Best Picture. Honestly, I was so incredibly thrilled that the nostalgic black-and-white film received the honor of being deemed the greatest. Of this awards ceremony anyway. Michel Hazanavicious, also, received the honorary title of Best Director. Again, of this particular awards ceremony. Who knows if The Artist will be so lucky at this Sunday's Golden Globes or at the Academy Awards. Either way, their impressive win had me simply tickled pink with happiness.

Other honorable mentions include:

Woody Allen's win for Best Original Screenplay for Midnight in Paris - A relieving win, after Sorkin won yet another award for his quasi-brilliance, as well as a sheer delight

George Clooney wins Best Actor for The Descendants - Not necessarily a positive occurrence, as I was rooting for Jean Dujardin for his extraordinary performance in complete silence. Giving such a marvelous performance without saying anything, now that's worth an Oscar. Still, I don't mind Clooney's win one bit.

Viola Davis wins Best Actress for The Help - Again, not much of a cheer. I was rooting for Meryl Streep for her convincing, amazing portrayal of Margaret Thatcher. I'm happy for Davis, regardless, as I'm sure her performance was great, too. Better her than Michelle Williams. She does not look like Marilyn Monroe. At all.

Another tribute for Martin Scorsese - This is greatly appreciated, and in no way tiring (he was honored at the Golden Globes a few years back, as well), since Mr. Scorsese is undeniably a cinematic genius. Plus, montages of the legendary director are always a joy to watch. And Leonardo DiCaprio's introduction for the master of film was truly heart-warming, considering their close friendship.

Short and sweet, right?

Comments

Popular Posts