Disclaimers, Dexter, and Disney

Greetings one and all. I wish I had a better opening line, but that's all I have. Instead of writing an essay for my modern lit class, I decided to do some writing on this medium. Let's face it, this is more significant than writing about the significance of "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg. For shits and giggles, I'll give a brief synopsis of the film that I had to watch in order to write a paper comparing the poem to the film. Watching the movie Howl was just as dull and, dare I say, excruciating as reading the poem was. I won't get too much into it seeing as how this website could be tracked down for plagiarism once I turn in my paper. Moving on.
Several years later, I continue this post. I feel as though I should add audience laughter after every self-deprecating comment. That would require having an actual audience, however. Anyway. I have several things on my mind that I would like to discuss or merely glaze over, depending on how important I feel the thing is. Much has happened since my last post, events that I want to revel in for the most part. This is going to be a very fragmented post, so I apologize for that in advance. I will attempt to write this as professionally as possible and refrain from conversational talk. That may be a feat I cannot accomplish considering how giddy I am about certain events. Enough cock-teasing. Ready, set, let's begin.
A Promised Retraction. A few months back, I condemned the new Ghostbusters movie as feminist propaganda. I am paraphrasing, of course, to make what I actually said sound worse than it was. Why would I do such a thing? Regardless of the technicalities of what I said, I promised I would admit I was wrong. Here is exactly what I said: "If the movie turns out to be hilarious and plot-drivenly good, I will not deny it. I will admit I was wrong and prematurely critical." Adding to that, emphasis here, I said: "I will not, however, say that feminists were right. If I enjoy the film, it will be due to the talented director and his collaboration with the cast and script. Movies are movies, people." There you have it, word for word what I said. Now that words have been included to bulk up this portion, allow me to say that I judged the movie too quickly before ever watching it. I blame it on the noise surrounding the movie. If it weren't for these new-wave feminists, I would have watched the movie like any other without any preconceptions. Putting aside ideas of female empowerment, let us take a brief glance at Ghostbusters as a movie. It was generally entertaining and the jokes landed rather well. The women were not annoying at all, and why would they be? I can only speak for Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, as I've said in the other post, because I know and appreciate their sense of humor. Kate McKinnon, a recent Emmy winner mind you, was funny, and so was Leslie Jones. Well, she was tolerable anyway, for I feared her to be a walking stereotype as the trailer implied. Each of the women were funny, in my opinion, and I give special kudos to McCarthy because, well, I thought she was the funniest. Chris Hemsworth was hilarious, I have to admit. As much as I don't care for him, he was very amusing as the dim-witted receptionist. The movie as a whole is nothing extraordinary, nor is it anything atrocious. Ghostbusters 2016 was just a good movie, plain and simple. One nerd technicality I will agree with is that the movie should have been set in a different universe; however, there were never any specific references to a former team of Ghostbusters. At least not that I noticed. I was never a die-hard fan of the original Ghostbusters anyway. They were entertaining, for sure. But hey, so was the 2016 rendition. At one point in the film, the ladies are reading what trolls have to say online about their Ghostbusters team, which is a knowing nod to the real-life trolls who hated on this very movie. I was one of them, I admit, and this is my restitution. Forgive me, Paul Feig, but you did all right. While looking at the troll comments, one of the women says, "Don't listen to what crazy people write online." The movie should really follow its own advice.
Hello, Dexter Morgan. I don't know how I can possibly sum this show up. To start off, I have never before seen Dexter until this past August. How it all began is rather a funny story that involves a random guy and Netflix. That's how the greatest stories ever told begin, right? Basically, he suggested we watch the show from the beginning--because why not?--so that's what we did. I'm a bit surprised I have never seen it prior to that moment, considering my intense interest in serial killer anthologies. Anthology is a good term to use there, says I. The random guy and I went through two episodes before falling asleep, and that was all it took for me to get hooked. More than that, I was utterly enthralled by those two episodes and I would continue to be stunned by Dexter, both the show and the character. It was no wonder that the show was a massive success in its time. Before I say anything more, I would like to point out how brilliant Michael C. Hall's performance was. Really, people, let's give him a round of applause because the depth he went into to portray a sociopathic serial killer with a Code was tremendous. As much as I love Bryan Cranston... No, Walter White was still a bit more of a challenge. Though Michael C. Hall has my lifetime adoration nevertheless. Like Breaking Bad, it took me well after the series finale to watch Dexter from beginning to (tragic, untimely) end. In a word, Dexter is a masterpiece. I find myself tearing up just thinking about how incredible the show is in its entirety. Thinking about how it is truly over makes me cry, as I listen to the subtle and melodic musical score of the show. People debate how there could be a continuation, seeing as how they did not kill off Dexter, but I'm afraid that's hogwash. [Spoilers, duh.] How can they go on after such a disappointing finale? Sure, he's alive and living in isolation as a lumberjack. Sure, he could reunite with Hannah and Harrison. I can't help but wonder why the writers of the show did not make that the finale in the first place then? I understand that Dexter feels as though he kills everything he comes into contact with, everything he loves, that he cannot help but kill and lead those he loves into harm's way. My view, however, is that Dexter deserved a happy ending. Before you say, "But how can he after killing Deb?!" Relax. There are many complexities to Dexter, which is why it is such a phenomenal show, and I get why Dexter made that self-sacrificing decision to protect those around him from his own malevolence. Throughout the show, viewers fell in love with Dexter. They rooted for him, yes? I certainly did. So did Rita's mom, remember? And she was a schoolteacher who got fired for conservative views. Moving on. I so wanted Dexter to meet up with Hannah and his son. The second half of the finale had me screaming at my projector, and once he embarked on the stormy Atlantic, it was then I knew that the show decided to take this ill-fated turn. I suppose it was poetic, for Dexter to die with Debra. Only it was not poetic because the final scenes showed Dexter donned in a lumberjack beard, all alone. Tears were shed, heated analysis was made, and months later I am still going through Dexter withdrawal. I intend to watch the series all the way through again, hopefully, when I have endless free time. By then, I hope to write a more in-depth analysis of this remarkable television show. I absolutely love Dexter, despite my bitter views on the ending, and it currently holds a spot as my all-time favorite television show. Sorry, Walter White, but Dexter Morgan has my heart for the time being.
A Dreamlike Announcement. This final piece regards a personal event that has already altered my life in an oh-so optimistic manner. That makes sense, right? The happiness that surrounds me when thinking about this prevents me from speaking coherently. What event, you may be wondering with irritation as you read begrudgingly through my coyness? Last month, I received an email saying "Congratulations! You have been selected to participate in the Disney College Program at the Walt Disney Resort!" Pause for an Olive moment à la Little Miss Sunshine. I shrieked with elation when I got the email. I really could not believe I was accepted. Granted, I am a major Disney geek. I live and breathe Disney. I go there every single year and I have been there approximately fifteen times. It is quite preposterous how spoiled and in love I am with Disney. To be accepted into this "resumé-enhancing" opportunity is simply a dream come true. Working for Disney is my ultimate ambition in life, this is what I want to do. I'm basically reciting what I prepared for my phone interview. That was the most nerve-wracking experience of my adult/career-oriented life. At one point, I got disconnected from my interviewer and began hyperventilating. I was afraid I said "umm" and laughed too nervously and too often throughout my time speaking with her. I had seven pages of notes and answered questions she may ask. The interview lasted about twelve minutes give or take, and that was on August 29. About one month later, I got that miraculous email that granted my wish. I would be part of the Disney College Program, work for Disney World and take seminars to learn about the Disney heritage. I cannot be more thrilled if I wished for it. The idea of spending four months in Disney World is bonkers. All I know, as of now, is that I will be working as a hostess and that my dates are January 23-May 25, 2017. I might extend my program if I am able to do that because I certainly will enjoy my time there. No question about it. I understand the stresses that accompany a job working for one of the most successful companies in the world. There is stress attached to any job, really, and a job for Disney really cannot be so horrendous. I will be at Disney World. I will be living in a truly magical place, absorbing the essence of Walt's dream as well as soaking up the happiness around me as I, hopefully, make guests' days. I sound very cheesy and I am not sorry. Beyond the magic of working at Disney and the ability to visit the parks for free on my days off, I will be putting my foot in the door of this magnificent company. Here's hoping this experience leads me somewhere in the long-term. That's where I'll wrap things up. I got myself too excited. Not in that way. Get your mind out of the gutter. We're talking about Disney here, compose yourselves. I'm done now. Have a magical evening.

Comments

  1. Your wit and wisdom never fails to make me smile.
    Such wonderful news, I'm very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts