Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

A Presidential Trailer - Lincoln

If anyone was debating over who would win the Best Actor statuette in February, Academy Award, that is, here is your answer.

When I started to watch this two-minute trailer, I expected yet another affectionate homage to the sixteenth president of the United States. Yes, we're all aware that Lincoln freed the slaves. Hoo-rah. Though, I must ask, was it for better intentions? Don't mistake that for a violently racist comment, because it really isn't. What I mean is, did he, Lincoln, intend for African-Americans to be equal to white Americans? If so, then he has to be a hypocrite. From what I recall my dad telling me about the Civil War, I know that it had nothing to do with slavery. In fact, Lincoln had no concerns about slavery whatsoever; his main objective was to "fix the Union". I don't want to get too in-depth in this because I may be spewing false statements. And I wouldn't want to be embarrassed for acting as if I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, returning to my initial expectations of this trailer, that it would be overly pro-Lincoln, I was surprised to see some animosity against Lincoln. And not the stereotypical "evil villain" either, but respectable officials opposing Lincoln's tactics. Therefore, this movie appears to be objective. How endearing! And with Steven Spielberg directing, I was sure he would take the simple route and flatter Lincoln throughout. I owe him an apology, it seems. One more thing: Daniel Day-Lewis. And the Oscar goes to...

No comments:

Post a Comment