Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pushing the Envelope

I just viewed two shocking videos depicting the outbursts of rage by well-known actors. One I would like to highlight very briefly, as the thought is fresh in my mind and I don't want it to escape. Everyone has heard of the racist rant made by Michael Richards, who is fondly beloved as Kramer from Seinfeld. Of course, I was aware of this outburst, which took place among the period when hatred grew for Mel Gibson and his alleged outbursts against his ex-girlfriend. (I've actually heard those tapes online, and am almost certain that they were completely fabricated, for it does not sound much like the actor himself, and, of course, there is no visual proof.) As for Kramer's rant, it was filmed shakily from someone in the audience, and I must say that I was truly stunned by the display he demonstrated on stage, in front of so many people. While I won't record what he said here, as it is a bit too frightening for this dainty blog, I will say the following, possibly "racy" account. Of what I thought of this infamous display.

The only reason this is notorious is because it incorporates an attack on African-Americans. I must say that it is a bit of a nuisance to actually have to type the term "African-Americans" to describe that race, and even that they get offended by. Yes, prepare for a slightly-touchy non-rant. From what I have just seen with Kramer's "racist rant" (as it is titled in many videos), I admit that I was baffled by witnessing him behave in such a vile manner. I admit, it was a little unsettling to see an actor who portrays one of the greatest television characters of all-time spit out such horrible comments. After that, I watched his apology video, which was aired on David Lettermen (with Jerry Seinfeld as his guest, who supports his long-time cast friend yet was equally shocked as I was). I must say, after viewing the sincerity of his regret, yet which had absolutely no hints of pleas or kissing-up to African-Americans (noble, I think), it is utterly ridiculous that he even has to make a heartfelt apology speech. Of course, it was very offensive, but taking the time to make a speech that guarantees you're not a racist is just unnecessary. That's my view on it. A simple "I'm sorry. The language I used and in the gross manner I used it was completely inappropriate, and I whole-heartedly and genuinely ask for your forgiveness." (Let me pause for a moment, and ask if an African-American would apologize so passionately if he had insulted a white person? And why are we automatically fine with calling them white people, and not Caucasian-Americans? Chew on that.) But did African-Americans forgive Kramer? Were they touched by the mental guilt and time he went through to make that apology? I'm sure they were not. In fact, even today, people refer to this event and sneer at the inhumanity of Kramer. And he apologized! Believe me when I say that this apology made me cry. Why did it make me cry? Well, to see a man, whom I happen to admire and enjoy on-screen, open up like that, completely sincere in his remorse, is just incredibly sad. He doesn't deserve this mental hell, not really. He made a fatal error when he was on stage while being disturbed by some hecklers. Kramer is a world-renowned icon who will undoubtedly make us laugh until they make a Seinfeld remake with a less-funnier Kramer, to which we will think how wonderful Michael Richards is.

That was significantly less-racy than I thought it would be. I suppose that's a good thing. I wouldn't want to have to apologize for anything unnecessary. That would be a waste of time. Anyway, the sweet nectar of my productive mind has been squeezed out for today, and, remember, I only brag on this blog because I am compensating for my severe insecurity in the real world. As for the other surprising rant, that was of Christian Bale on the set of Terminator: Salvation, where he completely "freaked out" on the director of photography for no reason other than stress. And maybe because he's a pompous fellow. Another topic for another time, ladies and gentlemen. Just remember: anxiety is your worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment