Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ratatouille, A Pixar Film

Years ago, I watched this very movie in theaters. And I must be honest with you, I did not care for it. In fact, I sort of hated it. Four years later, not yet rewatching it mind you, I think to myself, "How could I not like yet another one of Pixar's creations?" Plus, it won Best Animated Feature in 2007. That doesn't hurt.
Now, as I rewatch the film, I am in a difficult position. What position, you ask? (Or didn't ask, whatever.) Well, I am forcing myself to try and enjoy it. I'm cringing while thinking, "Oh, come on, you're probably not enjoying it because you're a stubborn girl who didn't enjoy it the first time." Apparently, my initial assumption was not influenced by anything back then, as I still can't seem to take pleasure in watching the film again. (I know it sounded like I said I can't take sexual pleasure from the film, as pleasure always alludes to something sexual, but that is certainly not the case. I just felt I overused "enjoy".)

I have reasonable reason to believe that the choice of voice actors are crucial (in that they play a key role) in every animated feature. How do you expect to enjoy such a movie where the main character speaks with an irritating whine or accent? Or if you particularly dislike the actor voicing a character, and picture their face when their cartoon talks? Well, I for one could not stand that. Not for one bit. And guess what? That very issue lies in this movie. I very much dislike Patton Oswalt (even his name) and hearing him voice a disgusting rat who we are made to believe can cook?

Alright, I apologize. This is an animation after all. Making an argument of a rat's ability to cook is the same as denying a house's flight by balloons, or that fish can talk, or that toys live the same lives we humans do. It is not a documentary. This is sort of a note to myself, and all you other pricks out there, that this is a fantastical movie, and there's no room for cynicism.

The single highlight of this movie is the setting and the atmosphere of it. Paris, France, surrounded by animated culinary masterpieces. Oh, the French are truly the masters of cuisine. Of course, if you like French fare. At least I think so. Tres delicieux. (I took one year of French, in case you were wondering where my fluency came from.) It is rather amazing how Pixar can make food in an animation look absolutely scrumptious. Then again, Pixar is an amazing piece of this industry we call Hollywood. Or cinema. Or show business.

I'll be honest with you, I didn't actually finish Ratatouille the second time around. I simply could not watch it from start to finish! There's no need to jazz that sentence up with an elongated description of how lackluster the film was. The relationship between Linguine and Remy the rat, one of the key themes in the movie, was uninteresting and unfunny when it was clear that it was supposed to be just that. Remy's strong aspiration to become a five-star chef is rather disturbing to watch because I am what some call a "neat freak", and picture myself in such a French restaurant being served fine cuisine prepared by a rat. Oh, perish the thought of it! I am aware many people who love this movie criticize my opposition to the movie's so-called brilliance in animation. Yes, I know, they're thinking, "It's a god damn work of art! Pixar's best yet!" All that yada yada yada. (Note: I don't capitalize god, not out of disrespect, but because I don't want to attract attention to it. God is not the main part of the sentence. Ah phooey on you then.) All in all, I am firm on my opinion of Ratatouille, much like Anton Ego is firm on his stern reviews. Expect in the end, when the rat makes him reflect on his childhood and become a warm-hearted person.

Note: I just realized that, a few days ago, I said I would only review Christmas-themed movies. Well, this is not a Christmas movie. Consider it an exception.

1 comment:

  1. Hello V.
    I just wanted to let you know that I've read and enjoyed all your recent posts.

    I haven't left many comments mainly because I haven't felt like I had anything to add.
    I still like your style, I'm just going through a bit of a blank spell at the moment.

    ReplyDelete