Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Oscar Predictions

To prolong and expand my Oscar fever, I have come up with my own Oscar predictions for this year's race. I'm only doing Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress, and Best Supporting Actor and Actress. Best Director, though important to the race, doesn't really strike me when I watch a movie. Honestly, they all perform the same to me. If I like the movie, I like the director. Plain and simple. Moving on, here are my Oscar predictions. (These "predictions" are part-realistic and part-what-I-think-should-get-a-nod):

Best Picture
Black Swan
Inception
The King's Speech
The Fighter
The Social Network
Kick-Ass
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Shutter Island
127 Hours

The first five are self-explanatory. They have received the most critical acclaim, Oscar potential, and public admiration. True Grit is among them, also, unfortunately, though I don't think a remake could ever win. And I simply detest the work of the Coen Brothers, aside from Burn After Reading. And I cannot stand Jeff Bridges. Toy Story 3 will definitely be recognized since the Academy nominates an animated picture every year now. 127 Hours is also an Oscar hopeful. Surprised about Shutter Island? Bet you forgot about that one! Remember, beginning of 2010? Huge box-office receipts, love from the critics and audiences, topped many best movie lists? Well, apparently the Academy disregarded it, so I will make sure it was noticed for its excellence. I am certain the fancy Academy will not recognize the outrageously insane Kick-Ass, but I would like to have it noticed for its greatness. Moving on....

Best Actor
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
Leonardo DiCaprio - Shutter Island
Mark Wahlberg - The Fighter

We all heard about four of these astounding performances. Again, self-explanatory. Desperately hoping Colin Firth will finally be recognized for the brilliant actor he is. And for a movie so great, this is his year. Hey, it's Leonardo DiCaprio! How did he get here? For giving a marvelous performance of crazy Teddy Daniels in Scorsese's masterpiece, obviously. I know practically everyone who cares about awards season is cursing the Academy for snubbing DiCaprio yet again. And twice! Not only for Shutter Island, but for Inception as well. I would say he could get nominated for either one, he was great in each of them. He's great in any role! To get nominated for both of them? That would be something to see.

Best Actress
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Diane Lane - Secretariat
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

The first two actresses are the ones who are neck-at-neck in this year's race. Of course, Natalie Portman was absolutely marvelous and is most deserving of that statuette, in my opinion. Nicole Kidman's portrayal as a mother who lost her son is sure to get a nod because she is always amazing. And that she must react to her character's son's death realistically, which she did, and that draws the attention of many. I've seen reviews of Blue Valentine and it sounds really good. Michelle Williams's performance was admired too, so here's her hopeful nod. Now, Diane Lane for Secre-what? That Disney movie about the greatest horse that ever lived, way back October. It took only a few months for her great performance, filled with Oscar-buzz, to be forgotten. Well, here you go Diane. I did not forget.

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale - The Fighter
Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech
Andrew Garfield - The Social Network
Justin Timberlake - The Social Network
Armie Hammer - The Social Network

Christian Bale and Geoffrey Rush both have a definite chance of getting nominated, and will also be the two fighting for the gold. The other three will simply get the Oscar nod on their application, as well as a little extra on the DVD box. In my set of predictions, the other three are all from the same movie. Most likely not going to happen when the Academy gets a hold of it, but whatever. Andrew Garfield is the one with the most chance of getting nominated, playing Facebook's finance-whiz. Armie Hammer, playing the evil, handsome Winklevoss twins, was excellent, giving each twin a different personality. (They used CGI to duplicate him.) JT might be the guy to surprise you here, but the many times I watched The Social Network, I just saw a wonderful performance from him. And he fact that he isn't that experienced in acting yet? That makes it a hell of a lot greater.

Best Supporting Actress
Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
Mila Kunis - Black Swan
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Amy Adams - The Fighter
Marion Cotillard - Inception

I am so thrilled to hear how much Oscar-buzz Mila Kunis is getting, plus it is very well-deserved. With the strong possibility of getting her Oscar nod, she is certainly moving on up to be the future's great actresses. Helena Bonham Carter looks adorable as Queen Mum, supportive to her husband yet seems very shy. Of course, I'm Team King's Speech all the way, so any nod for them pleases me. The Fighter women are sure to get their nominations because they've dominated the awards world already. But, who's that one at the bottom? She was in Inception? Yes, she played Leonardo DiCaprio's deceased wife who held on afterward. Her performance was just brilliant, so believably full of anger and resentment toward her husband and coyly forcing him to grasp her memory until the end of time. Sensational. She probably won't get it, just like Leo won't get his nod. A damn shame, that is.

Well, there you have it. My Oscar contenders. As I said, some are certain and some are just hopeful. All these movies and performances will be recognized. Every single one of them. Where, you ask? Why, in my own awards ceremony! Ever since I even brought it up, I got all giddy and my friends think it's a stupid idea. Perfect combination of reasons to start this baby up! (Yeah, I called it my baby.) I'm going to have them either before or after the Oscars, don't know exactly when, sorry. Expect it to come soon. Very soon.

P.S. The Golden Globes are tonight at 8pm EST on NBC! Be sure to tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment