Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Zodiac


I watched this movie just last night (nice 'goodnight', right?) and, man, was it great. I've heard people say it was too long and tedious, so I didn't want to burden myself with the time. Later, however, I developed an enormous crush on Robert Downey Jr. (yummmay!) so I decided to rent it. Those people who slammed this film? Exile them to dim-witted hell.

Zodiac is a film, set in the 1960s-70s, based on the true story of the Zodiac killer in California. Anytime he kills someone (which is usually a heterosexual couple) he sends a letter to the San Francisco Chronicle. In those letters, is a cipher of some sort that the killer wants printed on the cover of the newspaper. The three main characters in this film are Robert Graysmith (Jake Gyllenhaal), David Toschi (Mark Ruffalo), and Paul Avery (Robert Downey Jr.)

At first (surprisingly) the police aren't involved at all, from what I viewed. All the inspector-characters didn't appear until the second murder! So, in the meantime, Graysmith, a cartoonist, becomes fixated on the Zodiac. He even attends the meetings where the editors converse with one another about the letters, which is highly unnecessary.

Anyway, Graysmith is involved nevertheless, which actually helps solve the case in the long run. Inspector Toschi is assigned to investigate the Zodiac case, which he becomes overly engaged in. After several false motives, they locate a reasonable suspect, Arthur Leigh Allen. There is numerous evidence that he's the killer, like discussions of mass-murdering, handwriting, Zodiac watch with the symbol, etc. He is definitely it in the end, but the the writer or director will not clearly specify that fact.

This is an excellent excellent movie, and at two hours and forty-four minutes, it is at a moderate time limit. The ending, however, was a bit sketchy and unexplained, like Bob Vaughn, who had an eerie vibe and killer-persona. Also, he had the exact handwriting of the Zodiac and personality of him as well.

All the acting in this movie is superb, even Jake Gyllenhaal, who I rather dislike on the count of his Brokeback Mountain (a movie I will never ever "review"). Mark Ruffalo is astonishingly decent here, for he is usually the mopey romantic guy in cinema. Robert Downey Jr., of course, was marvelous. His sense of humor was great and his personality was that of a cynic, like me. And he was incredibly sexy and tasty, as always;)

This movie has opened my horizon of movies, allowing me to be able to watch more sophisticated movies, which is great! I give Zodiac an 88/100. I love movies about serial killers, just not movies that display the act every moment:) (no horrors for me, thank you very much!)

No comments:

Post a Comment